Click the banner below for Hillcrest CDL Resources from your child's teacher!
The North Bend Food Services Department is proud to be able to do the work we love - feeding the future – and we thank everyone for their patience during this stressful time. We, and our partners in the Transportation Department love seeing the students we serve. We are happy to provide a bit of normalcy and connection with trusted adults that is so important for our youth. State and federal laws govern child nutrition in schools. They have demonstrated extraordinary flexibility. The one hard and fast requirement of the program has been that we had to hand meals directly to children; but, that has changed.
SCHOOLS HAVE RECEIVED A WAIVER THAT ALLOWS US TO ADD NEW PICK UP OPTIONS DURING COMPREHENSIVE DISTANCE LEARNING.
• We can allow families to register to pick up meals for enrolled students without children being present.
• We can offer multiple meals at one pick up with, or without, enrolled children present.
• You may bring enrolled children to pick up meals each day Monday through Friday at the North Bend Middle School or a designated bus stop.
If you could fill out the attached form to let us know how we can further support your child in getting a meal, we would be most grateful. There is no requirement but to be ages 1-18 and to show up at one of the pick up locations. It would mean the world to our Food Services staff to be able to help even more children to receive a warm meal. Thank you very much for your support!
Food Services Pick Up Options Form
Kindergarten - Fifth Grade Online Option - Fall 2020
August 21, 2020
North Bend Families,
With less than a month left before the September 14 start of school, I know that families still have many questions about programming, options, schedules, grading, and other important issues. Please keep an eye out for a communication from your school that addresses many of these critical issues.
Registration for all returning and new students is now open. To help with social distancing North Bend schools will be using an online format this year. Please visit http://www.nbend.k12.or.us/registration.html
We want to support you and your families needs. Please don’t hesitate to contact our school offices to inquire about:
- Comprehensive Distance Learning (CDL) for Grades 4-12 starts September 14th. This will be an improvement upon our spring instructional model and our teachers and principals are working hard to ensure a quality education experience for every child.
- North Bend Online Option also begins September 14th. Students in Grades K-12 have an option for a virtual environment. Please contact your child’s school office and request to be added to the online learning registration list and a staff member will reach out to you with more details.
- K-3 In-Person Hybrid. We have developed morning and afternoon sessions on site. We have clear health and safety guidelines to ensure this experience is as safe as possible. AM/PM assignments are being made at this time based on geographical bus routes. You will be contacted when the AM/PM assignments are completed.
In August the state released metrics that set the criteria for students to return to in-person hybrid instruction. The first hurdle is for the state test positivity rate to be at or below 5% for the preceding 7 days for three consecutive weeks. The state has failed to meet this metric as of the week of August 9, 2020 data. There is also county data and we just met all county metric criteria for the first time.
There is an exception. If we meet the metrics below we can have K-3 students return for in-person hybrid learning and we can offer limited in-person instruction for specific groups of students.
Assuming we remain on this positive trend we will have K-3 students return to in-person hybrid.
- There have been no confirmed cases of COVID-19 among school staff or students in the past 14 days. Coos County currently meets this metric.
- The case rate in the county is less than 30 cases per 100,000 population in the preceding 7 days for the past 3 weeks. Coos County currently meets this metric.
- The test positivity rate in the county is at or below 5% in the preceding 7 days for the past three weeks. Coos County currently meets this metric.
- K-1 Students will begin September 14 - see your school for details.
- 2-3 Students will begin September 21 - See your school for details.
New Oregon Department of Education Guidance and Special Education
On Aug. 11, Oregon Department of Education released updated guidance that opens up more opportunities for onsite limited in-person instruction. This is great news for our students that experience disability and will be an important complement to Comprehensive Distance Learning (CDL) for all this fall. During CDL, special education services will be delivered through co-teaching, virtual class/small group instruction, and tele-health (for clinical service such as speech-language, occupational therapy, physical therapy). The addition of onsite limited in-person instruction will assist teachers and specialists in providing specially designed instruction and related services to some students. Further, we will be able to provide in-person special education evaluation/assessment services. We will have more information and specifics in the next few weeks, as we learn more about the requirements for onsite limited in-person instruction.
OSAA Sports and Activities Update
Athletics and activities are an important part of the school experience for many of our students in North Bend Schools and are an integral part of our school cultures and identities. Wednesday, Aug. 5, the Oregon School Activities Association (OSAA) announced a modified athletic calendar for 2020-21.
Below is a brief synopsis/overview of the OSAA athletic calendars for the 2020-21 school year:
- Season 1: Aug. 31 to Dec. 27, details to come
- Winter Sports (season 2):Dec. 28 to March 7
- Fall Sports (season 3):Feb. 22 to May 2 (football will run slightly longer through 5/9)
- Spring Sports (season 4): April 19 to June 27
- Activities Season: Cheerleading Feb. 22 to March 14; Dance and Drill March 9 to April 18; Speech April 5 to April 25; Solo Music April 12 to May 2; Choir April 19 to May 9; Band and Orchestra April 26 to May 16
With the start of the association year on Aug. 31, we currently remain focused on navigating Season 1. With local control over Season 1, we understand it will not be a “one size fits all” approach as North Bends’ Season 1 could look very different from that of neighboring school districts.
As we continue to follow guidance from the Governor’s office, OSAA, Oregon Health Authority (OHA), and Oregon Department of Education (ODE), along with the OSAA sports medicine advisory committee, our goal will be to make the best decisions possible in safely supporting athletics and activities at middle and high schools within our school district.
For more from OSAA, visit http://www.osaa.org/coronavirus
We are currently working on plans with our athletic department and administration and will have updates and announcements to our programs in the coming weeks. For updated information, stay connected with your coaches, athletic departments, athletic directors, and school.
Thank you, families, for your continued support during this time.
The Free & Reduced Lunch Application and information is now available for the 2020-21 school year.
Can also be filled out by signing up at
PLEASE NOTE - You will need to download the PDF in order to fill it out. You can use Adobe Reader DC to do this. Make sure to uncheck the optional offers.